The Australasian Council of Deans of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (DASSH) elects its board members at the AGM held at the DASSH Conference in September each year. The Board consists of a President and Chair, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and up to four other members elected from the membership across Australia and New Zealand.
Professor Robert Greenberg is the Dean of the Faculty of Arts at the University of Auckland. He received his PhD from Yale University in 1991, and held teaching positions at Yale, Georgetown University, and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Professor Matt McGuire is the Dean of School of Humanities and Communication Arts and Provost of Bankstown Campus, Milperra. He is a Professor of English Literature. Professor McGuire has 20 years' of work experience in the tertiary education sector in the UK and Australia.
Heather Zwicker is Executive Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences at The University of Queensland. She moved to UQ in October 2018 from the University of Alberta, where she served as Vice-Provost and Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (2015-2018).
New Zealand Officer
Professor Cynthia White has been Pro Vice-Chancellor of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Massey University since 2019, and before that she served as Research Director for the College (2012-1019) and Head of the Department of Linguistics and International Languages (2008-2012).
Professor Kate Darian-Smith is Executive Dean and Pro Vice-Chancellor, College of Arts, Law and Education at the University of Tasmania, a role she has held since 2018. She is responsible leading five Schools — Humanities; Social Sciences; Creative Arts and Media; Law; and Education — located across multiple campuses.
Professor Lori Lockyer is the Executive Dean of the Faculty of Creative Industries, Education and Social Justice and an expert in education. She is responsible for the strategic leadership, governance, and financial management of the faculty which teaches over 10,000 students and employs over 1,100 academic and professional staff.
Professor Deborah Gare is PVC of the College of Law, Arts & Social Sciences at Murdoch University. She is an author and editor of several leading works, including Fremantle: Empire, faith and conflict since 1829 (2016), Tom Stannage: History from the other side (2015) and Making Australian History: The politics of the past since 1788 (2008).
Past DASSH Presidents
- Professor Catharine Coleborne – President September 2020 – September 2022
- Professor Mandy Thomas — President: February 2018–September 2020
- Professor Anthony McGrew — President: September 2017–February 2018
- Professor Susan Dodds — President: September 2015–September 2017
- Professor John Germov— President: September 2013–September 2015
- Professor Krishna Sen— President: September 2011–September 2013
- Professor Jennifer Radbourne — President: October 2010–September 2011
- Professor Gerry Turcotte — President: May 2010–October 2010
- Professor Anthony Cahalan — President: 2009–May 2010
- Professor Faith Trent AM FACE— President: 2007–2009